About the LLC
The LLC is a cutting-edge knowledge resource center for the entire wildland fire community. The LLC provides innovative strategies, processes and tools to assist the entire wildland fire community in performing more safely and effectively—using both past and present lessons.
- The LLC helps the entire wildland fire community use lessons from the past and present to improve for the future.
- The LLC works to improve safe work practices, advance organizational learning, and share lessons learned and knowledge within the entire wildland fire community.
- The LLC promotes organizational change toward safer, more effective practices.
- The LLC provides a centralized resource where agencies and organizations in the wildland fire community can learn from experience and systematically problemsolve.
- The LLC serves all members of the wildland fire community—federal, state, tribal and local firefighters, as well as third party organizations.
- The LLC provides a broad and in-depth perspective that crosses all geographical areas and transfers knowledge throughout the entire wildland fire community.
The LLC was established based on the need for a safer work environment, more effective organizational learning processes, and to create an institutional memory for the entire wildland fire work community.
- Before the LLC was established, agencies and organizations in the wildland fire community collected information and learned from the past, but this knowledge was widely scattered and new practices were not universally adopted.
- The goal of the LLC is to help prevent loss of life and serious injury, manage risk wisely and ensure safer and more effective work practices across the entire wildland fire community.
- The LLC provides a centralized online location for capturing knowledge and lessons learned from across hundreds of wildland fire organizations at field and management levels.
OperationsThe LLC facilitates networking among members of the wildland fire community and shares knowledge through Web-based tools, educational seminars, newsletters and publications, workshops, presentations, videos, interviews, stories and case studies. The LLC has become a knowledge resource center by:
- Cultivating and supporting communities of practice— networks of people who share an expertise or passion and work toward a common goal—to support professional collaboration and share experiences,
- Collecting intelligence about the environment as it relates to wildland fire,
- Learning from other organizations’ effective practices,
- Learning from experiences and past history of wildland firefighting—both domestically and internationally,
- Experimenting with new approaches,
- Encouraging systematic problem solving, and
- Transferring knowledge throughout the wildland fire community.